The app is listed under the ‘Tools’ category on Google Play Store. The application content is rated for age 3+. The latest version of the application varies with the device on which it runs. It received its latest update on February 22, 2017. Its OS requirement is different for different devices. It can be installed for free and but contains ads and in-app purchases. However, premium features are only available on unlocking the paid version for a monthly subscription of $ 1.99 or an annual subscription of $ 7.99. The paid versions are ad-free.
The importance of a mobile security & antivirus app cannot be stressed enough. Currently, smartphone users have tons of personal data on their devices and use a whole lot of applications on their phones which may also include applications which access their credit cards and bank accounts. With devices connected to the internet at all times, they are exposed to continuous threats. As such, it is a good idea to have a Mobile Security & Antivirus app installed.
The app protects users against viruses and malware that expose you to unwanted popups and advertisements. Avast Mobile Security also protects their users against applications that function like a spyware or an adware that violates your rights over your privacy by sending the personal data stored on your cellphone to their servers. Users are also able to secure their devices against unwanted phone calls and SMS messages, infected websites and phishing mails with this application.
The application is developed by Avast Software. The size of the android application is different for different devices. On Samsung Galaxy Duos, the app size is 12.85 MB. The average rating of the app is 4.5/5 based on 4,657,036 votes. The application has been downloaded and installed between 100,000,000 – 500,000,000 times.
Pros of the Application
- The application performs most of the functions that users would want in their antivirus and mobile security application such as protection from viruses, malware, spyware, adware, phishing emails and infected websites.
- Users can also block phone calls and SMS messages from particular phone numbers on this application.
- The app also comes loaded with some power packed features such as Antivirus engine, privacy advisor, Firewall enabler/disabler, charging booster, RAM booster, cache junk cleaner, Wi-Fi scanner & speed tester and Web shield.
- While the free-version contains advertisements, the paid version of the app is free of ads.
- Despite containing most of the features that users would want on a mobile security and antivirus app, they appear to have missed a trick by not including a mobile tracking feature for misplaced or lost devices.
- The app consumes a lot of RAM and runs continuously in the background, draining battery life and causing overheating of the device at times.
In addition to the features that are available on the free version, App Locking, Remove Ads and Avast Direct Support are three more features that are available on the premium version. Users can lock their apps with a pin or touch gesture and they can contact Avast support directly from their devices, helping them resolve issues at the earliest.
The application is one of the most installed apps on the Android Play Store and is a must have on your Android device.