PlantNet Plant Identification is an application categorized under “Education” in the Google play store. This application is developed by plantnet-project.org and has content applicable to individuals aged 3+. It is compatible with android version 4.1 and above and was updated on 18 Nov 2022. The current version of the app is 3.4.4 and the size of the app is 17Mb. It is available in Google Play and has no in-app purchases making the app completely free to use. This application has more than 1,000,000 installs and has been reviewed by more than 40,000 users giving it a 4.3 rating in the Google play store.
Would you like to know what plants are there in your surroundings you have reached the right place “PlantNet Plant Identification” is here to help you with this.
PlantNet describes itself as a “citizen science project on biodiversity” which means all the plants you photograph are collected and analyzed by scientists around the world to better understand the evolution of plant biodiversity and to better preserve it. If you do not have any expertise or botanist around you with a smartphone and just a tap this application helps you to identify plants with just a photograph.
Different types of plants existing in nature can be understood and identified by using the PlantNet Plant Identification app. If you are a botanist or gardening lover you will just fall for this app you can find out which type of plant is a flowering type or if it is a tree or grass type or if it is ferns, vines, or cacti type. For researchers who are curious to know about more plants while they visit a place, this application will be for sure useful for their studies.
Just a photograph can provide you with detailed information about the species the more zoomer click more details you get. As there are few plants that look alike in colour or texture which may be difficult to identify with your naked eye.
From the 360,000 species of plants living on earth, Plantnet made it possible to recognize about 20,000 species which is a great contribution by the creators among users as well.
Botany students don’t miss having this app as it will help a lot with your assignments and research.
New features published in 2019
- An amazing app to recognize plants using your smartphone camera.
- To access more quickly you have the option to select your favourite floras.
- Well categorized, it will automatically detect your flora according to your location, when you are not sure what flora to look for this is very useful, a multi-flora identification that allows you to search for the photographed plant in all the flora of the application and not only in the one you have selected.
- It has the ability to filter and categorize plants by family, group, and species.
- Ability to contribute by providing information or adding photographs of plants.
- In Image galleries, you can navigate different taxonomic levels.
- Displays extensive information about a particular plant.
- Your observations can be mapped.
- Ability to easily explore the contributions made by the PlantNet community and also re-identify of shared observations, whether yours or those of other users of the application.
- An extensive database of plants from all over the world. Data revision that gives more weight to users who have demonstrated the most skills (in particular the number of species observed, and validated by the community).